Tuesday

Molasses Crinkles Cookies

"Grandma Sinclair's or Ginger-Snaps" (also for gingerbread men!)
-Brenda Benedict

Ingredients:
3/4 C soft shortening
1 C brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/4 C molasses
2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2 1/4 C flour (approx.)

Directions:
Mix shortening, sugar, egg and molasses thoroughly. Blend all dry ingredients. I just dump it all in together adding the flour last to make it just the right almost not sticky texture for a good cookie. Chill.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 in balls (or whatever size you want!)
Dip tops into sugar (or add a bit more flour and roll out to cut into gingerbread men).
Bake 8-10 min or just until set, but not hard. This is important for a chewy cookie. Bake at 350. Yields 4 dozen cookies (or one if your ball was big enough!).

I hope this recipe works... I have never made it in this amount. I always 2-4 times the recipe. Stand and Russ' grandma always had these cookies in her freezer and would serve them when we would go visit her. They are wonderful. I freeze mine and eat them cold just for the memories. They are delicious warm with cold milk too.
We always make gingerbread men during the holidays. We ice them and our grandchildren pile all kinds of good stuff (raisins, gumdrops, sprinkles of every kind and color on them for their eyes and buttons and clothes. I like white icing and red hots on mine. And of course, some cold milk!)

No comments: